SD card video length

Which version of the internal Home camera? Internally I have Home 3 and they have it.

Sorry… It’s this one:

YI Smart Security Camera, 1080p Wifi Home Indoor Camera with AI Human detection, Night vision, Activity alerts for home, pet, nanny monitor, Cloud and micro SD card storage, Works with Alexa

That one doesn’t have it sadly :frowning: not sure if it could be added to it. I do find it useful but I also find the playback controls a little clunky I’d prefer to see Netflix / YouTube style playback tools - play, pause, fast forward 10/15 secs etc.

It is something I have asked for before but I guess at the price point it is not going to happen.

I will get back to you how the camera saves files to the SD when viewed on a computer.

I Would assume the Home 1080p would be the same as home 3 and a windows pc should show the same as a Mac.

I’m sure they are the same… time will tell.
Appreciate your help. Are you in Yorkshire?

For my sins yes :). Of course only joking. Yorkshire is a beautiful English county.

I have been there a couple of times… Tis lovely.
North Wales here :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ah right a fellow Brit. I’m not sure why I thought you was American.

North wales is a place I’ve visited and driven through many times. Indeed the number of times I have driven the A55 Expressway I’ve lost count.

Ahhh the A55… travelled it many times… maaany times lol.
I lived in America for 17 years… if that counts?
Perhaps I type with an accent :slight_smile:

Ha no I guess I just made an assumption. It is always nice to see other UK based people here especially if British as well. Always nice to help fellow Brits get the best out of Yi products.

I also wrongly assumed you was me too. I’ve see what The stands for :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wish more people would get into home security, it’s not expensive anymore… And I’m sure it would cut down the amount of illegal activities… maybe that’s just wishful thinking… Anyway Have a great night, what’s left of it, and we’ll chat tomorrow…
Appreciate your help!

1 Like

Agreed. But I’ve dabbled in it for many many years. Including having a smart home where I can track movement in every part of it. Every external door is monitored and almost every inch is monitored. Plus now with smart assistants I can talk to the house and let it do things for me.

I have forgotten the last time I switched on a light with a light switch !!!

And yes I will return to you with what I find from the SD card recordings.

Sadly, I have just tried multiple SD Cards from my Yi internal cameras and they they are unrecognised by my Mac when trying to view them. So sadly I can not confirm how the SD recordings look on a computer.

@Steven_Kami - any chance we can get an understanding of how files are saved to an SD card please? Is it a single file or are they spilt into time spans? If they are spilt can you have technical support confirm what they recording file length is and what the naming convention is like please?

Cheers.

1 Like

Morning Yorkshire from Wales.
Thanks for trying with the SD card. I think I can check the card as I have a card reader. I will get back to you. I did record a 10 or more hour video, so it will be interesting to see…

1 Like

Afternoon.
A couple of days ago I set my cam to continuously record. I could see that it was recording on the timeline view. (solid orange bar, as opposed to the broken orange bars of motion detection.
I transferred the contents of the SD card to my computer.
Thee were 92 folders containing over 2,000 video files.
Each of these files were between 1 second and 1 minute. Never more than that.
So now I’m wondering where the 10+hr video that was continuously recorded is?
I’m going to try again with the continuous video, but remember when I started it…
Will keep you informed.
T

I’m wondering if some of that 10 hours is broken up quite significantly. Reading about it, it would seem that it does save in chunks and not in one mass as I first thought

What is the naming convention of the files like ? Could you type one of the file names to a message for me please? It would be good to see if this is date / time formatted.

It would be great if it is proleptic Gregorian calendar. But I feel it may be Epoch time (UNIX timing system).

Or worse still hexadecimal or worse again just random.

1 Like

Hi
The folders are named as follows: 2021Y03M06D18H
Which is the year 2021
Month03
Date 06 and
Hour 18

Within these folders are the individual video files, named as follows 03M50S10.mp4
Where 03 in the minute
50 is the seconds
and the 10 is how long the video lasts…
I’ve set my cam to continuously record again. This time I know what time I started recording so it should be easier finding it… I’ll leave it go for a couple of and e what we get.
T

1 Like

That to be fair is very good naming convention. Not sure why the SD card would not open on my Mac. I tried multiple and two different brands.

What length is each file Miss Cymru?

1 Like

haha miss Cymru… love it…

Inside each folder are a number of video files. Each lasting between 1 second and 1 minute.
I think this was my initial complaint, if the activity goes on for more than a minute it won’t record anything past 1 minute. hmm
Love the Tudor rose!

2 Likes

The white rose of York :slight_smile: our famous heraldic rose.

2 Likes

I’m a huge Tudor fan. But being Welsh, I have to go red rose with Henry VII… :grinning:
Ok, the continuous video is not continuous, but is recorded in 1 minute chunks, so each hourly folder will have 60 1 minute video files.
I guess this will be easier to track down the corresponding video on the SD card, to the alert…
I would still rather use th emotion detection to record all video, regardless of length.

T

1 Like

Categories