Only Motion Clips Available On 24/7 Plan

SD cards can be viewed via the app. So not sure what you mean re them. Plus to be fair to Yi they are pretty well placed with the financials especially if you look at the likes of Ring or the new cloud charges from Blink.

Thanks again, YorkshireUser. I didn’t realize that SD cards can be viewed from the app (I know, it makes sense, but I didn’t think about it – have been using cloud services for so long :slight_smile:

What do most people here use to cover a couple of days at 1080p?

I use 64gb sandisk class 10 specifically for cameras of this type. With CVR I get 4-5 days.

Just checked on one I can still get all my CVR from 09:00 hours GMT (UK time) March 12. And it’s now 17:21 March 22.

@Woolywonk - this is the SD card I use https://amzn.to/3rba6P5 - if your device can take a larger capacity get the biggest the device and your budget can afford.

Just be mindful of you get one not to drop it when installing it if you install it with your camera in place.

Re the way in which your outdoor camera motion alerts you. You may wish to take a look at this article https://news.yitechnology.com/tips-tricks/where-to-place-my-outdoor-home-security-camera/ to see it you can optimise your positioning at all.

Perfect, thank you!

I assume that I will not be able to check the SD card content remotely through the app, if not on the same Wifi network at the time, is that correct?

No :slight_smile: you could check it on the moon if you have data service (mobile or wifi) :wink:

Seriously with an SD card you have great access to your footage. And on the long run saves you money.

The only thing you have to think of is if the camera is stolen so too the footage. But that is a risk I think for me is acceptable - because for me it’s minimal risk vs cost.

Yi/Kami have a Windows computer or Macintosh app which you could also use as well.

In my experience the use of Yi cameras both locally and remotely is very impressive.

2 Likes

You could also view your SD footage on a computer / Mac should you need to. Of course this is not required.

If you view this thread

You will see that the storage of the files on the SD card make it easy to find the footage you need.

But of course for you there is no need to do that if you don’t want and that ladder can stay in the hut !!

Just ordered them, thank you!

I would still like to resolve the cloud subscription issue though and I hope that @Steven_Kami can do so.

1 Like

It does look like you have motion cloud only from that screen grab and as such if you had it recording cvr it might have been an error.

The only explanation I can give regarding the motion v cvr issue is that in some instances, depending on the amount of activity in the environment the motion detection cloud recording is practically constantly recording. It does this of there are quit a few motions one after another.

But without question, based on your screen grab and plan, it’s motion and not cvr.

Cvr for 5 cameras is alot more than $99

Just checked and the USD cost for CVR is $74.99.

This is for one camera only and for 7 days storage. There is no multiple camera options for CVR so you would have to purchase a separate one for each camera.

Hey @Woolywonk thanks for your patience. I do apologize for my delay. I am sorry to hear you’ve had a little trouble pulling up a video of interest from you cloud.

If the motion detection was not activated during the event, then there will be no cloud video as the detection did not signal to record. Were you able to pull up the clip of yourself activating the motion detection after the incident occured?

Are you wanted to cancel your cloud subscription or keep that with SD cards? I am looking for a little clarification on what cloud subscription issue you need resolved.

I hope you’re having a lovely week. Again, I am sorry to hear things didn’t capture perfectly with the motion detection. We are working on making improvements to this feature and will continue to improve it as we move along.

That is correct! We do not at this time have any mult-cam cloud packages for the CVR plans.

If you purchase the 2 year plan for CVR you save a little bit money.

Hi, Steve. Thank you for the clarification. I guess I must have had CVR before, because I could view video before the motion detection was triggered. For instance, when my Nest doorbell detected a person but the Yi camera in the area did not detect motion, I was able to view the person from the cloud. The Yi camera covers a larger and slightly different area than the doorbell and it has failed to detect delivery people several times.

I had to reset my phone and reinstall the Yi app a few days ago, and I guess the ability to view video before motion is triggered disappeared then. Strangely, I was able to briefly see a few seconds prior to the motion detection I first posted about above, but it was only once and when I tried to download it, it was not there and then I was unable to view video prior to motion detection.

Unfortunately, since motion detection is not perfect and often late in capturing what triggered it, I have no use for the cloud service and would love to cancel it, so that I can offset the purchase of the SD cards. I have ordered the SD cards and based on YorkshireUser’s helpful hints, I hope that they will provide what I need.

Yi should really consider including continuous capture ability where video is retained for say 48 hours and then only motion is retained for the remainder of the period.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Hey @Woolywonk Thanks for the feedback. This is why we have the forum, to listen to our faithful users. You can adjust the 6 second motion clip length if you have an SD card.

What camera model do you have?

Can you do that for the alert mate? I thought it was only 6 seconds for the free cloud alert?

I think @Woolywonk sounds like he is wanting very similar to how I have mine set up. That is why, and if he/she wants it I am happy to help once the SD cards arrive.

I guess now what he/she wants is to cancel the cloud subscription and receive a pro Rata refund.

Adjusting the 6 seconds is only on the kami wirefree. It doesn’t adjust the alert… rather the length of recorded time to a max of 60 seconds

1 Like

That’s what I thought. Maybe that is what Steven was thinking.

Most Wirefree (battery) products work that way

that is correct @YorkshireUser. It’s for the wire-free which is the camera I use at home. I was hoping to clarify the camera model @Woolywonk. What camera model are you using?

Hi, Steven. I have the Yi Security Cameras (Outdoor, 1080p). They are hardwired. The SD cards should be here by Saturday.

I should note that yesterday a gardener in a small truck came by to pick something up, at 10:34. My Google Nest doorbell detected him as a “person.”

But when I looked in the Yi app, I see motion detected at 10:24 and the short clip stored on the cloud is of some tree branches moving in the wind and the sun reflecting through. No motion detected at 10:34 and since I can’t see the footage on the cloud, I would never know. And it’s a truck, as well as a person walking :frowning:

I hope that the SD cards solve my issue with missing footage, but the cloud at this point is rather useless to me, and I’d like a prorated refund.

And I hope that Yi improves the motion detection.

Thank you!

Can I ask does the motion you want to detect ‘cut across’ the PIR or the Yi camera? PIRs are temperamental little devils that need some care on their placement. Including the height and diagonal positioning and how they detect (I.e movement, pixel changes, heat signature, AI, object size).

I think I shared the advice presented by Yi to you previously.

It’s not just Yi either. I’ve read about Arlo, Blink, Ring and Logitech do it.

That is why it is best to really think why you need the camera. What you want it to do and understand how they work.

But yes they all seem to pick up the rustling of the trees or bushes!

An example I tested two cameras. One with pixel change detection the other PIR. The pixel one would pick up every time. The other about 85% of time. One was battery the other AC (the mains powered one was the pixel and a substantial difference in unit cost).

Here is the guidance.

https://news.yitechnology.com/tips-tricks/where-to-place-my-outdoor-home-security-camera/

And

Here

https://help.yitechnology.com/hc/en-us/articles/360035691213-How-to-Install-the-YI-Outdoor-camera-

I think yes partly the motion detection will improve as the firmware develops but also ask yourself how much consideration and research did you do on this type of technology before you bought it and then before you pulled out the ladder and your drill?

With the SD card and always on recording it will record everything that is in the line of sight of the camera lens. So even without an alert it will capture what it see’s. This will provide a better experience for you.

Some diagrams to help visualise this (from two other brands Blink / Arlo - brand is irrelevant as is the type of camera):

This will help give you some understanding too:

1 Like

Categories