Yi Home App 17 May 21 update is unable to share Album photos and video

When I attempt to share a photo or video from the Album to any application, it immediately fails. WhatsApp reports unrecognized file type when sharing an image.

1 Like

Hey @megawhite welcome to the community! And, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I was able to recreate this issue and received a similar error message when trying to send a video clip via whatapp. I also tested SMS ability to send a video clip and there is no trouble there. If needed, you can still share a clip via SMS.

I am going to escalate this with our team and work to resolve this as quickly as possible.

Many thanks for your patience and understanding. I will be in contact shortly.

Hi Steven_Kami thanks for the response!

Are you aware of any way I can get the original video saved out of the app album? I wish to be able to save it before the camera overwrites the data. I guess it would be too big to send via SMS. I looked on the file system and see the app appears to be storing the images and videos in a different location.

Alternatively the data from the camera SD card is available but it is a bit of a pain to use as it’s in 1 minute long videos.

Thanks,

Andrew

What about via email? Can you share the file to your email?

I have update the product team about this small issue when sending video clips via WhatsApp. We will be in contact with more information as we solve the challenge.

Many thanks for your patience and understanding.

Also, @megawhite what is your phone model and phone operating system?

Hey @megawhite thanks for your patience! We were able to resolve the issue for iOS. Can you please try to send a file again via WhatsApp?

You can also save these files to your phone and send them thru other methods as well.

Keep us posted!

1 Like

Hi Steven_Kami

I have the same problem with Huawei P30 Pro phone. The app version is 4.83.0.20210517.

pictures and videos can be saved in app Album under Downloaded photos and Downloaded videos but cannot be shared with any other apps. Also I can’t find the saved files in my phone using file explorer.

This happened only after May 17 update

Hi Steven_Kami,

My phone is OnePlus 6, Android.

There is no option to share with my email.

I am unable to share photos or video with any option in the sharing menu. They all fail. There is no way I can get the data out of the app.

Please let me know if you require any more information. I am keen to receive a fix asap.

Thanks,

Andrew

Thanks for the update @megawhite and for confirming this is related to android @Yanh We are looking into this issue now and will update all as soon so we have this resolved.

And, are greatly appreciative that forum brought this to our attention. You guys are awesome!

Ill be in touch

@Steven_Kami Same problem here. I’m using the lastest version of Android and I can’t share a downloaded video/picture with any other app (whatsapp, SMS, email or even Google drive) downloaded video/pictures used to appear in my phone’s gallery but not anymore. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

@Steven_Kami is there a timescale for the fix please? I have unplugged my camera to prevent it overwriting the data on the micro SD card that I want to retrieve.

Thanks,

Andrew

1 Like

@Steven_Kami Same problem here with latest Android version on a Galaxy. Cannot share downloaded video/picture with messaging app, Gmail, Instagram etc. Photos and videos used to download right to my phone’s gallery but now only appear in the App album.
Thanks!

Hello All,

We are currently working to solve the issue in regards to video clip sharing when using an android device. We apologize for any inconvenience as a result of this.

Please know we are working diligently to resolve this problem.

Thank you for your incredible patience. We rely on the forum for so much. We greatly appreciate you all.

Hi Steven_Kami, is there any timescale on a fix for this problem which first appeared in the app release a week ago? I see there are more complaints accumulating in the Google Play Store YI Home app feedback.

Andrew

Hi Steven,

Any updates?

Same problem here I noticed.

Kind regards,

3Dview

Hi, why is this serious bug taking so long to fix?? It’s been over a week since the developers broke it, how about they revert the change? My camera is still off and useless because there is video I wish to retrieve from the micro SD without it being overwritten.

Andrew

Hello Forum members - Thank you all for your incredible patience. Our team is currently working towards a resolution. An app update will be released shortly to address this issue. I will keep the forum up to date with any progress as soon as I know more information.

If you have any questions please let me know.

2 Likes

Hey @megawhite Thank you for your incredible patience. You can use an SD card adapter that is supported with their computer to view the photos and/or videos from the microSD card on their computer. After inserting the microSD card into the SD card adapter, insert the SD card adapter into their computer. Then you open the drive on your computer and locate the files on that drive to view the pictures and/or videos

Hello incredible forum members - thank you for your patience while we fix a the issues those have had sharing clips through WhatsApp and other methods with your family and friends.

Our team has isolated the issue and are on the path to a correcting this error. We are currently testing and improving the new logic.

Testing to confirm all is well takes a little but of time. Our next app update is coming Monday and this will be addressed and resolved. I will remind everyone to update on Monday but wanted to keep you all up to date on our progress.

Thank you for your patience. We really appreciate your help.

1 Like

Thanks for the update Steven!

Waiting on Monday!

Categories