Pairing times out for camera that worked earlier

Hey @GreatBoo Welcome to the community! I am sorry to hear you’re having these issues

Please contact support@yitechnology.com

I currently have the same issue with my camera, Symptoms are:

• Reset Camera -> Successful
  • Waiting to connect -> Successful
  • QR Scan -> Successful
  • WiFi is connected -> Successful
  • Pairing has timed out. Please reset the camera.

This began after I deleted and reinstalled the app. I contacted support and tried everything they suggested, but still have the same problem. Honestly, it did not seem as if the support person actually understood the issue I was having, based upon the troubleshooting suggestions they made. Worse, they claimed it must be a defective camera and offered to send me a new camera IF I PURCHASED A CLOUD SUBSCRIPTION. After I explained that I use an SD card and therefore don’t need a cloud subscription, they basically told me there was nothing they could do. What a way to stand behind your product!

I really liked the camera and app when it actually worked (so much so that I have given them as gifts and recommended them to friends). The only reason I uninstalled the app and then reinstalled it was because I no longer could “scroll back in time” within the app. I was hoping a total reset would fix it, but instead it apparently made it worse.

Hey @sweetleaf230 That is frustrating. I am so sorry to learn about the experience you had. Let’s do everything we can do rectify the situation.

Have you viewed our helpcenter article for pairing troubleshooting? Take a look at this and let me know if these steps help resolve the issue.

Yes, I followed the steps in that article and have the same problem. Everything seems fine until the very end of the process, it says pairing has timed out. I even downloaded the Kami app as recommended by support, but the same exact thing happens.

@sweetleaf230 Can you send me your ticket number from our support team? Let me follow-up and get back to you with more info.

My ticket # is 503342.
Thank you.

Not wishing to jump in here but have you or are you able to try a different network for the camera to see if that works?

I say because a friend of mine was encouraged to buy a Yi camera. They had issues connecting it to their network. I tried on mine it connected.

So I reset (multiple times) their camera and tried again on their network and it worked.

@YorkshireUser Great suggestion.

@sweetleaf230 are you able to try a different network? This might free it up to work on your network.

I do not have another network to try it on at the moment. I should note that the camera worked on my network for a while without a problem (and I recall that the pairing process was quick & easy!). I uninstalled the app because I was having trouble viewing past video (I could only view realtime video). When I re-installed the app, I was unable to reconnect the camera. I have reset the camera more times than I’d like to recall! At least 20 times.

Could there be any chance your network might be broadcasting the 5ghz network? It could be that the camera is connected to that. If you could try to check this via your router settings and disable it and try again.

There must be something that changed from when it was working fine for you. It’s all about finding which variable or variables it is and fixing them.

My router has 2 channels, one for 5G and one for 2.4G. I connected to the 2.4 on both my phone and the camera.
Thank you for all the suggestions though, I will keep trying anything. I really did like the camera when it worked.

Can you try turning off the 5ghz wifi channel? Or do you have them as different networks? I know mine runs on the same and I had constant issues with my Ring doorbell so I disabled the 5ghz network and it’s worked for years ever since.

However if I attempt to enable it the ring doorbell sulks :slight_smile:

I got this reply from YI support today via email, seems like a standard response and just says to do everything I’ve already done:

Any changes made before these all four cameras went offline?

Please make sure your camera and phone connection are working properly, please refer to the following steps below.

• Move the camera next to your router and power cycle the camera. (Unplug if for 5-10 seconds and plug it back in)
• Ensure there are no obstructions that may block the signal between the router and the camera. Once the camera is back online see if the connection is stable. If the camera is operating properly next to the router, the issue is the Wi-Fi connection between the router and the installed location for the camera.
• The installation distance should not exceed 33 feet.
• Ensure that your cellphone has either a strong Wi-Fi or cellular connection to view the camera in the app.
• If you are seeing a “network connection failed” error in the app, this is due to the phone network (Wi-Fi or cellular) connection when using the app to view the camera.

PAIRING TIMED OUT

1. Check your Wi-Fi settings before pairing up and make sure that you are connected to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network.
  2. Enter your correct Wi-Fi password.
  3. Place the camera near your Wi-Fi router.
    There should be no obstructions or any objects that may block the signal from the router to your camera.
  4. Location or GPS on your phone should be turned on, and Allow the permissions for your App.
  5. Use another cable, adapter and try to plug the camera to a different power outlet.
    proceed on the pairing process

I cannot see if you have tried it but. Following the connection dropping after you changed wifi channel have you tried a reset of the cameras?

I sssume you have tried returning the router back to the previous channel to see if that would return the connection ? I wouldnot have thought channel a wifi channel would cause this though but it may be a security feature if the Yi camera.

But I know you have to delete the cameras when changing wifi networks which to me seems a little extreme and something I’ll be undertaking in a few days time when I swap fibre provider.

They are different networks. I checked a zillion times to make sure I selected the correct one on both the camera and on my phone.

Hi, I spent some time to register myself here just to say thank you, you didnt only figure out the solution and answer it to yourself, you also helped me. After struggling all around I found a simple reboot of my router could solve the problem exactly as you had~! Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time just to say kind words! We need more people like you around (everywhere) :slight_smile: hope you’re having a great day!

Hi all.

I am having the same experience as the original post but with a brand new device YI 1080p Home Camera and YI home on iOS device.
I went through all of the recommended actions above - rebooted/reset/changed ssid pass the rooter.
I reset the camera and went through the pairing process…

1. Reset Camera -> Successful
  2. Waiting to connect -> Successful
  3. QR Scan -> Successful
  4. WiFi is connected -> Successful
  5. After 10 seconds I get a voice message Pairing has timed out. Please reset the camera.

I already have a mi air purifier device connected without any issues.
Any support would be appreciated

Hello. Could you try setting up the camera next to your main router please. Also ensure that you are on your 2.4g network for the camera and set up device.

You also need to make sure location settings are enable and allowed to the app.

At times you may need to reset the camera multiple times. I assume when you reset the camera you removed (deleted) it from the app first?

Hey @couldhavebeenbetter Thanks for coming to the community!

We have just a few questions to help direct our team

What is the power source of the camera?
Is the wifi router 2.4ghz or 5g?
What is the version of your iOS device and operating system?
How far away from the router is the camera?
How many walls?

Let us know and we will get this figure out :slight_smile:

Categories