Not all alerts are recorded.

Hey @Rocatah Thanks for following up! And, helping drive conversation on the forum. I appreciate it.

1- It depends on the cloud plan or how you have your SD cards set up. You have the ability to record continuous with an SD card but as Brian mentioned, it eats up a lot of data. Our CVR cloud plan always is continuous video recording. Motion activited plans record every motion (unless battery powered, battery powered has a cool down period even with cloud to save battery power).
2 - If your Yi Home app is set to continuous recording, you need a cloud CVR plan for this to be uploaded into the cloud.
3 - If you think of a third please let me know. Happy to answer any and all questions :slight_smile:

Thanks @Brian and @YorkshireUser for the feedback. Helpful as always.

1 Like

HI
If I wasn’t confused before… I am now. :grin: Bear with me.
I’m thinking of getting the motion (Entry) Cloud package.
Which will save all alerts, and records all motion regardless of video length… Yes?
If I record continuous on my phone is that independent of the cloud settings?

Thanks for your help guys
T

Ok, I think I’m following on tbs first part @Rocatah you are correct! Thank you for clarifying. If you have motion cloud plan you can capture/record all alerts and record the entire motion until motion leaves view of the camera.

I’m not sure what you mean about recording on your phone independently of cloud settings. Let me try to clarify but apologies if I’m off! :slight_smile:
Do you mean when watching live video feed from your phone, is that independent of the cloud? If so, then yes! You can pull-up live feed from you phone any time and watch your cameras live and the watch time is not uploaded to the cloud.

If that’s not what you mean, we will get there :wink:

Hope that helps! Please let me know if have any other questions.

1 Like

Cloud storage will record, (motion) will record all movement regardless of length… if there is movement it keeps recording

If you have an SD card in the camera it will record with movement or if you choose to, it will record continuously all the time. This is stored on the sd card in the camera, not on your phone, but it is accessed on the app in your phone.

Of someone steals the camera the video on sd card is gone toom but you will still have cloud footage

2 Likes

Hi @Steven_Kami
I did mean the recording on the SD card not my phone. Sorry. :upside_down_face:
You explained what I was trying to say very well. Thanks

@Brian I’m glad you figured out what I was trying to say. Thank you.

This is the last 2 questions I promise. ( well, maybe not)
The alerts are recorded at 640x360, and the SD recordings are 1920x1080, what resolution are the recorded motion on the cloud?
Should I sign up for the cloud service via the website or via the app on my phone?

Thanks everyone for your help.
T

1 Like

Ultimately your choice. If the question was rebranded to “what choice would you choose to subscribe to the cloud facility?” one’s answer would be via the application.

But, as they say, the choice is yours. Take your pick. If you still cannot make the decision do the ‘ Eeny, meeny, miny, moe’ on it that can help when the choice doesn’t really matter.

Hi again…
I’ve signed up for the cloud. And so far, so good I am happy to report.
So thank you all for your help…
T

2 Likes

Thanks for your patience and thoughtful questions @Rocatah! I am glad to hear that you received some help from the forum and you were able to find a solution that suits you. That is the overall goal!

If anything else comes up, don’t hesitate to ask!

Hi…
Me again…
Still happy with my cameras. But have a quick question.
Now that I’m using the cloud, do I need to record to the SD card anymore?

Thank you
T

No. Unless of course you want continuous recording and the cloud plan is motion events. If you’ve got continuous recording on the cloud then no.

But I do think and this support article supports this. With an SD card inserted it will still be recorded to in the event the internet connection is lost.

But if your internet connection and power is stable then it should not really matter too much as opportunist thieves are unlikely to damage an internet connection either on insertion to a house or extraction.

Personally I would leave the SD card. But as they say the choice is yours.

1 Like

Afternoon @YorkshireUser
The SD card fills up pretty quickly with continuous recording, and it’s 128GB. But I’ll figure it out…
Whilst typing that I have another question… Hope you’re not fed up of me yet. :upside_down_face:
The cloud package I have is ‘7 days rolling’ Can you explain what that means.
Are the previous weeks recordings deleted in one go, or deleted day by day?

Thanks
T

7 days rolling means.

Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5
Day 6
Day 7
Day 8 — becomes day 1 again and day 1 is removed.

So by day. Hopefully this is clear.

How many days are you getting out of a128? I get 4-5 days if not more from a continuous recording on a 64gb which I think is very acceptable.

1 Like

ok I get it now… thanks again kind sir!

I stopped continuous recording this morning… with 38gig free of 128. I’m thinking it is about 10 days or so, not sure really…

Thanks
T

1 Like

Then that is really good. I really think local recording is very beneficial but the cloud options offers that.

The only improvement I would like to see would be for Yi to allow saving to a local cloud (NAS) solution. But all in all you seem much happier with the products.

1 Like

I had to look up NAS, still not sure what it is :smiley:

Yea, I am happy with the cameras, once I figured out (with your help) what I was doing . It was a learning curve from the system I was using though!

T

1 Like

Ha sorry! Simply storage which is linked to the network.

2 Likes

Hmm… seems unnecessary. Why not to a local HD? My last system used this.

T

1 Like

That is in theory what a NAS is. Or do you mean a local hard drive attached directly to the camera? If so I’d think that would make the camera more cumbersome.

1 Like

Hi
I guess I mean to a local HD that’s connected to your computer using WiFi.
Maybe we are describing the same thing?
T

1 Like

Yes it is. Now some routers allow some kind of usb drive to be used but not accessed in the same way as Network Attached Storage.

I do have an SSD HD connected this way to my fibre router for local network storage only.

1 Like

Categories