Not able to record more than 6 seconds

I have this issue too. My car was broken into last night and I wanted to watch the footage but, alas, only 6 seconds! I clicked on ‘complete clip’ and was taken to the screen that should allow me to view it but, instead, it went to the live feed. My SD card is formatted and should be working fine.

I spent a lot of money on this camera and am now wondering what the point was. I’ve since taken out a 30-day free trial but shouldn’t have to to be able to see what’s happening.

Any advice on whether it’s possible to retrieve a longer version of the video would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hi,

@samuelcooper I apologize for your camera not being able to record past 6 seconds. As long as the microSD card is formatted properly, you will see the full event when clicking on complete clip in Alerts. In this instance, your card wasn’t recognized and the app went into “live” mode instead of “playback” mode. If you are using a microSD card and a cloud service, the cloud service takes precedence. In Alerts, if you click on the complete clip, you will be directed to the event in your cloud instead of the playback on your microSD card. When using both, you will need view the “live” mode of your camera and then click on the top part of the screen to view the timeline for your camera playback on the microSD card. There is an option to view a continuous recording on the microSD card. To do this, click on the hexagon symbol inside your camera thumbnail. In Settings, click the green toggle switch next to “Activity Detection Recording”. This will disable the ability to only record when activity is detected. However, if your microSD card is not recognized or formatted properly, you won’t be able to record continuously or when activity is detected.

1 Like

My cameras had been working fine, that is until I declined the free cloud offer. The cameras reverted to the six second clip and then to not recording at all. I’ve tried everything mentioned including resetting the cameras. What started as a nice home system is now basically a window dressing to alert people the camera presence. This is not the system that I purchased, but merely an attempt to have me purchase a plan. Don’t need nor want one. All so called improvements have really made the system worthless. I am searching for a contact at Yi so as to make a formal demand for a refund.

2 Likes

I regret to inform that I’m having the exact same “issue”…

I used to see the complete clips until a few days ago, when I started noticing the app was making more and more mention to Yi Cloud subscription service and now it only allows me to play the first 6 seconds of my alerts…

Dear Yi Technology Support Team,
I’m requesting a workaround to this limitation without having to keep paying monthly for the cloud service.

If that’s not provided I’m going back to Amazon Support and opening a refund request and a formal complaint against your product advertising there, since there was no mention to this limitation. If that was the case, I would 100% stay away from it.

wow, i thought it was just me. not really happy to see it happens to others, but happy i am not as stupid as i thought. i dont know why i have alerts when i click them on all i get is live views. i can’t even move my camera to face another direction. other than watching live (yawn) it is good for nothing else. can i refund it?

@kat75444 hi. I have a similar issue to you but I have a work around for it. I need to use this on iOS. Android works fine.

On iOS using the latest YI Home app version with SD installed in my cameras (this issue impacts them all).

If I use the alert option via the camera view live view clicking on the bottom toolbar. I can view the 6 seconds alert and when clicking on complete clip it reverts to love.

If however I go via the Alerts menu from the Home menu I can view the alert sox seconds and when I click on complete clip it plays the full clip.

For clarity I’m using iOS with no paid cloud subscription.

Maybe try this way. Hope it helps.

I was having the same issue.
I did manage to get it back working (by mistake).

1.) I went into settings and turned off smart detection and activity detection recordings.

2.) Formatted the memory card.

Then turned back on the settings above in step 1.

That seems to have solved it for me. Note, only recordings after the above steps seem to work.

Hope this helps

@Uptheowls glad to hear it! That is excellent news. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten back to something accidentally on purpose :wink:

I am not having the same issue the issue I am having is I use the YI Home camera app on my PC and I have a 2TB hard drive to save my recordings but the YI Home is only allowing 30 minutes of recording why is there a limit to how much I can record to my own PC this limit seems to be cloud purchasing driven and I feel like I am being robbed

I too have this problem with only 1 of my 4 cameras. If I format the card in the odd camera, at the end of the format, it says only .94 percent storage available. When I use my PC to format the card it works fine, and I am able to copy many files to the SD. When I reformat the SD and return it to the camera, it immediately says only .94 percent storage available. If I take this card to another camera, it works fine and shows all available storage (files with Record and Log). If I reformat the card in the good camera, all is well and works perfectly. But return the SD back to odd camera same .94 percent available and only Alert recording??? Software is current.

More details, looks like the SD card is at fault. Unpredictable operation!

Hey @Linda58 Welcome to the community! Thank you so much for taking the time to join. Def a good spot to learn and share with the others.

Let me ask, do you have any motion detection alerts set for the Yi Home Camera with extra storage?

NOTSOLVED
This DID NOT work for me.
Tested with an old camera that used to record to SD, and sometime in 2020 stopped recording.
BUT a brand new camera (April 2021) was not fixed with this :frowning:

1.) I went into settings and turned off smart detection and activity detection recordings.
2.) Formatted the memory card.

Then turned back on the settings above in step 1.

The older camera recorded a short snippet ONCE and then never again.
the Newer camera recorded nothing

Hello. For clarity are you saying a camera you had stopped recording footage to the installed SD card. You bought a new camera in the recent weeks and that too is not recording to an SD card?

Or are you saying you attempted that suggestion of formatting in the newer camera then returning it to the old camera to see if that worked?

How many cameras have you got what are not recording to SD carD presently? Could you try a physical reset of the camera - including deleting the device from your account and attempting to set it up again.

How old are the SD cards? Brand and class please. Can you try the SD cards in another device to see if they function correctly in that?

Hey @Yannis Thanks for the detailed response.

Those SD cards are a little bit older. Have you tried a a new SD card?

Also, please update your app to the most current version and give it another try.

Thanks for your assistance.

What is a good and known working SD card?

Yes both my yihome app and kami app are the latest

Thanks for the response

Sandisk cards aren’t well accepted as a choice to use.

1 Like

With all due respect these cards are at almost 700,000 reviews on amazon with 4.7 out of 5.
I don’t think you will find a better or more popular card or better reviewed.

Sandisk have worked on all my 9 cameras since I bought them.

So what should I buy that is a known working card?

1 Like

Sandisk class 10 at least. I use Sandisk cards that are specific for cameras and dashcams.

SanDisk High Endurance microSD card gives you the peace of mind that your dash cam, home monitoring or security system will capture crucial footage when it happens, recording and rerecording worry-free. With capacities of up to 256GB*, you can record and save more Full HD or 4K videos.(3) It’s built tough too—ready to record in extreme heat or freezing cold, and it’s shockproof, waterproof and x-ray proof.

1 Like

Thanks for all the community engagement everyone! :heart:

1 Like

SOLVED !

All my SD cards (9 of them) were not able to record. I purchased a 5 pack of these on Amazon

Gigastone 16GB 5-Pack Micro SD Card, Camera Plus 90MB/s, Full HD Video, U1 C10 Class 10 Micro SDHC UHS-I Memory Card with MicroSD to SD Adapter

And all my cameras record and play back a timeline ! PHEW !

I feel like I need to update my terrible Amazon and Google play reviews of YiHome cam now.

FOLKS !!! SPEND $6 and get your SD cards and BAM ! Problem SOLVED !

PS - Don’t use the KAMI app, it won’t allow for SD playback !

PS 2 - The new new home 1080 cam looks way better and sharper than the previous generation (2-3 years old)

Categories