Night vision clicking

So is it just a coincidence that the clicking happens at the same time that it goes between normal and night vision?

It’s how the technology reacts to daylight moving to night light. It happens with all of my cameras of this type (not all of Yi brand).

It doesn’t really impact me but in your usage I can understand why a camera with such technology would.

If you see your recorded footage you will see the picture go wrong colour to black and white. Even with IR lights disabled.

1 Like

@Naomici It is simply an action related to the switch between normal and night vision. The camera has a physical action that makes a noise.

Hope that helps

1 Like

Yes I get that. I’m just looking for a way to stop the change, for either night or normal vision to stay on so there would be no switch and as such, no noise. Is this possible?

1 Like

Not possible. It is the technology. All this type of technology does this. It is nothing something that is turned or or off and nothing to do with the night vision per se

Some other brands even make a clicking noise when the PIR / motion detect is activated. That sure is most interesting when you first hear that.

We can turn on a Night Vision light that indicates when in it is night vision but that is it. It can help you understand & identify which mode the camera is in. Just now, the clicking is nothing bad or anything negative related to the camera. Simply mechanical function that creates a sound.

Definitely an issue between swapping night vision and standard view. Wakes me up in the morning as it’s so loud. (Yes I know I can turn the sound down, but we use it to keep an eye on someone, so what’s the point)

Should be an option to keep it in one mode or the other to avoid it

It is normal for that type of technology. It is a mechanical movement you are hearing. All cameras of this type of technology do it.

I offered a more extended response to this matter in this thread

How to disable IR lens switching (annoing sound at the morning 30 times)

1 Like

@BM077 thanks for coming to the community! Check out the forum thread shared by Yorkshire. He had an excellent explanation of this camera trait.

Thanks for coming to the community forum!

1 Like

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with Yi 1080P Dome Camera. I fully understand it has to do a mechanical thing inside hence the click sound. HOWEVER, as an embedded firmware engineer myself, the repeat clicking that goes on at dusk and dawn is an utterly unnecessary annoyance. It happens with these cameras because there is no hysteresis implemented around the light level threshold that triggers the mode switch. This is a VERY simple firmware change that would cause the camera to just click once and be done (until the light level changes significantly in the opposite way). Hysteresis is a standard and simple technique used to prevent such systems getting unstable around trigger points.

Please can this be fixed in the firmware, I have two of these cameras doing this and the constant clicking wakes me up in the early hours.

Andrew

1 Like

Thank you for the thorough feedback. Let me bring this to the attention of our team and see what we can do. You patience is appreciated. We apologize for any inconvenience.

1 Like

Hi, is there any response please? Sat in my office now during dusk. Click… click… click… click…

Hey @megawhite This noise is a mechanical feature when the camera is switching to IR for night vision. If you are in a well lit area, you may not need IR. However, you can try different camera placement in the same vicinity to see if that improves the clicking sound.

Where did my response go?

Above I acknowledge that the clicking is a required mechanical sound.

I repeat again, poor firmware programming is the cause of the system to get unstable and flip between night and day mode a dozen times. Hysteresis is needed and very simple to implement.

I offered to sign a NDA and fix the firmware source file myself completely free of charge, so this highly annoying problem can be resolved.

1 Like

That is very kind of you. We are currently working internally to resolve this issue. I will be sure to offer your services if our team can not get it fixed themselves.

Had the same issue because I use this in my baby’s room. I had 2 cameras in the room and when both of them click, it would almost always wake my baby up :joy: Really hope this will resolve soon because it also affects my sleep

I tried turning on the bedside lamp to keep the room “bright”, and tried turning it off to keep the room completely dark. But the camera still clicks at random hours (not only at dawn & dusk). I understand why it clicks when the sun rises but I wonder what make it click at 11pm or 1am because there is no light change in the room

1 Like

Hey @elsa1990 I can only imagine that your sleep is greatly affected by your baby. And, the last thing we want to do is keep up a poor sleeping baby! :joy: Thank you for your patience and candor. We appreciate your kindness.

Let me ask, is your firmware, app, and phone operating system current? Has the latest version.

Yup, they are the latest version.
Also, last month the camera only clicks in the morning at about 6am. But the past 2 weeks it clicks at random hours, 10pm… 11pm… 12am and so on… i dont understand whats going on with my cctv :joy:

1 Like

Hey @elsa1990 That is incredibly frustrating. Let me follow up with our team here and see what I can find out for any troubleshooting suggestions. Thanks for your patience and we apologize for the interrupted sleep!

Categories