Motion detection not working help

Motion detection doesn’t work at all for people on my YI outdoor wired camera help

Hi,

@WeeGerf I apologize that you are having an issue with Motion Detection not working with your YI Outdoor camera. Motion Detection is disabled by default for all YI and Kami wired cameras. If you haven’t manually enabled Motion Detection for your camera or put the camera in Away mode, Motion Detection will be disabled and you won’t receive notifications or alerts. To manually enable, from the app home screen, click on the hexagon symbol inside your camera thumbnail. Click on Settings under smart detection. Next to Motion Detection, click the grey toggle switch to enable and turn green. Motion Detection is now enabled. This camera does not support Human Detection. As long as a person is moving and within the range of the PIR sensor, the camera will trigger a Human moving.

Hi there, I have already done this but still motion doesn’t seem to be being detected still. What is the maximum range of the sensor?

Hi,

@WeeGerf Max recommended distance between the camera and a human or object to trigger motion detection is 15 feet. Make sure the Alert Frequency under settings is set for High. If the camera isn’t triggering in the installed location, please move the camera next to your router. Wait until the camera is back online and walk in front of the camera. See if the camera will trigger an alert while next to your router.

Interesting, the camera is now detecting motion but it is very unreliable and has 90% false notifications of nothing happening. The distance I have the camera from where motion is to be detected is roughly about 15 ft though it could be more. This information would be good to have available online somewhere or even on the camera packaging it’s self so that people can make an informed decision when purchasing. Do you have any outdoor cameras in the range that have a better motion detection range or is this just the standard?

Hi,

@WeeGerf Is the camera triggering alerts when placed next to your router only or in the installed location as well? Any object that is emitting a heat signature near the camera, can trigger the PIR sensor to send an alert. I have noticed our Kami Wire-Free (battery) Outdoor camera to trigger Motion Detection at a further distance. The reason is the design of the PIR sensor for this camera. For our wired outdoor cameras, 15 ft is the maximum recommended distance to trigger an alert.

The camera seems to turn off at 10pm every night now since I’ve got it. Intermittent orange and blue indicator lights are flashing randomly on the camera it’s self and a lot of false motion alerts with tree branches etc

I assume there is no explanation to this scheduled downtime then?

Hi,

@WeeGerf Are you saying the power shuts off on the camera, the camera shows offline or something else? Please let me know? Does the intermittent flashing lights occur all the time now or only at 10pm? How do you receive alerts if the camera is turned off?

@Patrick The power shuts off on the camera completely but the indicator lights stay on and flash between orange and blue, there is also a clicking sound being produced by the camera at around 5 - 10 second intervals. The camera turns on every morning at around 5am or when it starts to get bright outside. Then as soon as it starts to get dark 10 - 11pm it shuts off and won’t let me do anything. I’ve reset the camera multiple times and still this issue persists. The indicator light during the operating hours of 5am - 10ish pm changes between being orange sometimes and blue . No particular pattern just random.

Hey Garth, the camera has the IRCUT automatic switchover; this allows the camera to switch to Night vision automatically when it gets dark. This problem you are seeing where the camera goes offline after trying to switch can happen if the camera is not getting sufficient power or if the hardware is faulty.

Can you please try using a different power cable and adapter and try it for another night? And then if it’s still doing the same thing tomorrow please let me know and I’ll get some more information from you.

Thanks!

1 Like

I have an issue with motion turning itself off on all my YI cameras when i exit the App!!!
Ridiculous, how can these be security cameras when they turn motion senor off !!!
Just happened for no reason; I suspect the muppets at YI have done more updates without testing - wouldn’t be the first time

2 Likes

Hi, the motion detection function was disabled suddenly in all of my cameras tonight. Now I cannot reactivate it: I switch it on and it switches off automatically after a few minutes. Everything is updated and they worked perfectly until yesterday evening. Any similar experiences? Any ideas how to solve it?

3 Likes

Hello All and @Kami_Mark and @Steven_Kami
I started facing exactly the same issue as Neil and Miru since last night - Despite activating manually motion detection (in smart detection and on Yi Dome, or Yi outdoor camera / have a few of them so not linked to app version or camera firmware - all up to date) then it got turned off without any reason.
Also feature Home/Away doesn’t act properly on turning on/off motion detection anymore.
It seems the developers have changed something (probably when adding the advertisement to subscribe on cloud notifications!) that now created a huge bug on motion detection turn on/off so please fix that asap as camera are simply useless when not active in motion detection/sending alerts.

1 Like

Hi NetMs, thanks for sharing your experience too! So it’s a problem for many people! You’re right, the cameras are now completely useless, and I tried everything, switching them off and then switching them on again, check the updates… nothing seems to work. @Kami_Mark hope the issue can be solved soon.

1 Like

@Kami_Mark @Steven_Kami hi - any news on the issue of the motion detection function switching off with no reasons?
I keep enabling it, and after a while it gets disabled again.
I also unplugged and plugged back the cameras but it’s still happening.
What should I do?

1 Like

This happened to me on all 6 cameras yesterday.
I keep going into Settings and turning Motion Detection on but it just turns off again.
I’ve updated the app but still same.
All cameras now useless.

2 Likes

I have 5 cameras same problem. Motion detection turns off after a few minutes. Since yesterday.

1 Like

Same here. I’ve done everything possible I can do. It’s clearly a server issue on their end. I’ve got 100% signal on all cameras. Lightning fast response times for accessing cloud storage or video. My wife is on vacation and asked why she wasn’t getting alerts. I checked my phone as well as the app on my PC to see if it was a problem with her phone. Nope. I confirmed there were no alerts recorded even though the cloud recorded everything. This essentially renders the cameras nearly useless. Even motion alarms do not work. I thought I’d give it a shot just to get some sort of motion related response out of the cameras to no avail. No motion alert logged on the Yi app and no alarm when walking directly in front of the camera. Each camera sporadically reports a motion alert once every 1-2 hours even though I’m watching all 6 cameras with motion in them while no alerts are transmitted. Awesome, right? I sure wish Yi / Kami would communicate better when these issues arise regarding estimated down time and specifics regarding the issue, so we all don’t spend countless hours attempting to fix a problem that isn’t on our end. I realize these things occur, but Yi / Kami needs to communicate with their paying customers. This is unacceptable.

Same here. All 5 cameras are working fine but the motion detection keeps turning itself off. It’s doing my head in :exploding_head:

Categories