Memory limitations

@Swiftrun Adventure indeed! Thank you for sharing this information with us incredibly valuable.

Other people have got to be curious how long a 256gb SD card lasts on continuous recording :thinking: interesting stuff.

Keep us posted and thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I’m also keen to see how The ‘Tinker Man‘ @Swiftrun little investigatory study comes along, particularly daya integrity and if any corruption happens due to using such a size sd card. I guess only time will tell the longevity of the card

2 Likes

Time…about 26 days😁
Also, I’m hoping using a high quality SD card will help with any issues with data corruption.

Should be interesting :thinking:

1 Like

@Swiftrun we may have to turn this study into a white paper or something :wink:

1 Like

Hahaha
I have real world crazy off the grid ideas if the memory tinkering works out.
I’ll loop you into a crazy idea bouncing around inside my head.
If the camera successfully works with this 256gb SD card

1 Like

I wasn’t quite finished my other reply before I sent it.
It goes something like this
If the 256gb SD card works, I’ll take it up a notch.
Then after that test, I’ll loop you into a crazy thought​:rofl::rofl::rofl:image

1 Like

Why do Yi specifiy a SD card size with the camera…ie 32 or 64 when it will work with larger

I’m a little confused

Hey Brian

I’m not 100% sure why there’s a 32gb/64gb limit.

I’m currently testing a 256gb Micro SD
Not sure if there’ll be any degradation in the video using a card that large.
I have my camera recording continuously 24/7 and I extrapolated a timeframe of 26 days when the card will be filled.
If it stops recording earlier than that I’ll report it here.
Even though it’s seeing 238gb of available memory when I first formatted the 256gb card it’s possible when I get to 64gb it could stop recording or go to where it starts deleting I think 1 hour at a time.

It’s also possible the video may be corrupt if it goes by the 64gb limit.
So for now I’m still testing the 256gb SD card.

If I have no issues I’m thinking of going to test a 1tb card.
Not that I need 1tb or even 256gb, I’m just tinkering.

Stay tuned!

Some of the newer ones are now 128gb

1 Like

That’s good news!
Correct me if I’m thinking wrong.
I suspect there will be some hardware limitations with the older cameras in regards to maximum SD cards.
But I’m thinking it’s more of a “firmware” limiting SD card size??

Just thinking out loud.

I would think a bit of all that - hardware, firmware and what’s been tested etc. Also I personally would not use storage (SD cards & USB drives) in excess of 128gb. I just worry about how secure the data is. That said now I don’t use anything other than SSD for larger capacity needs.

I guess it comes down to requirements. If you are not sensitive to your data needs then if the card fails for whatever reason it should be a matter of format it and away you go or you toss it out and buy again.

I believe a rule of thumb to avoid possible corruption is to reformat a card every three months. But that may be old hat now.

1 Like

I’m thinking of an off the grid application
I’ll go deeper into my thought process after I see how successful/unsuccessful my 256gb test is.

1 Like

What I’d like / love is for user own cloud storage usage. Or allow footage to be saved to like OneDrive / Google Drive etc.

But I’m aware of the limitations of the product and the difficulties in providing that. And I would think that maybe a third party cloud storage which isn’t paid for wouldn’t allow constant recording to their platform

2 Likes

I’m no expert but here I am thinking out loud.
I saw an article how to create your own cloud using Raspberry Pi Nano Cloud.

I’m not sure if you can direct your camera to point/upload to your own cloud (I’m guessing not) as I think you’d need to be able to edit the firmware for this to happen.
Again, way beyond my knowledge but I do see where you can create your own cloud.

Me personally, I like to have my data within physical arms reach.

Anyways, food for thought.

regards
Tinkerer

Exactly Tinker you cannot direct it to your own cloud at this time. I have a local NAS which I’d love to be able to use. Now the actual NAS (Synology) does have its own security camera software inbuilt.

1 Like

Now if you could edit the YI firmware…:thinking::grin:

1 Like

Ha ha I guess the camera could be modified somehow but I like them and the brand

2 Likes

:thinking::rofl:

1 Like

You guys are awesome. Funny thread to get caught up on :joy:

Let me find out some more information on SD card size limitations and if there’s any update I can give.

Thanks all!

2 Likes

Anytime we can have a laugh, life is good.

See what happens when a retiree has a thought😁

2 Likes

Categories