Memory limitations

Hey gang
I have a couple SanDisk Extreme SD Micro memory cards coming by Tuesday
128gb & 256gb
First I’ll install in my YI outdoor security camera that I’m playing around with in the house.
I’ll format each one using the cameras own format utility.
If the cameras do in fact recognize the size increase I will then just let them record until they fill up to their listed capacity or where they top out at.

Fun Fun Fun

Stay tuned!

1 Like

Keep us posted to your progress! Share as much screenshot, youtube link of video footage if you like :slight_smile: outdoor cameras can catch interesting stuff sometimes
Excited to see how it works out for you!

And, thank you for contributing to the forum positive vibes! Glad to have you around :call_me_hand:

Hey gang

I installed a 256gb SanDisk Micro SD card
It formats at 238gb available memory.
It says if you want closer availability to card size format it on a computer.

I’ll record on it and see if there’s any limitations but so far so good.

1 Like

This looks positive. Good that it recognise the card. I’d be a little concerned that it’s seen a slightly less size and unsure if formatting it through a computer would help things. It’s a strange message on the app as my understanding is before use of any sd card it needs to be formatted in the camera.

I guess for the tinker man you can try all this :slight_smile: is just be cautious about potential data corruption.

But so far looking good.

2 Likes

Every card I’ve installed comes out less than the card size.
I might format via a computer and see what happens.
My gut tells me to use to the cameras format program even though you end up with a bit less memory.
I’m going to try and fill the 256gb card to see if there’s any corruption.
I have a 128gb card as well, but I thought wth, go big or go home.

I can see a specific use for a large memory card, but again specific being the keyword.

Have a great week!
The Tinker Guy😁

1 Like

I’ve set the camera up in a spare room.
It’s setup to record continuously.
After a couple days of continuous recording I should be able to extrapolate a number that will give how many hours, days, weeks it’ll take to fill up that 256gb card.
Once it’s filled I’ll go back thru the recording to see how it looks.

Stay tuned!

1 Like

Hi

Looks like the camera is on a pace to use about 8.7-9gb in a 24hr period of continuous recording.
If you extrapolate that data, with the initial 238gb available.
I’m guesstimating you could possibly record continuously for 26 days using this 256gb SD card.
I’m going to let the camera record for the next 26 days or whenever it appears filled.
Once it’s finished recording I’ll probably remove the SD card and put it into my laptop to view the video.

Stay tuned
This is an adventure
The Tinker Guy

2 Likes

@Swiftrun Adventure indeed! Thank you for sharing this information with us incredibly valuable.

Other people have got to be curious how long a 256gb SD card lasts on continuous recording :thinking: interesting stuff.

Keep us posted and thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I’m also keen to see how The ‘Tinker Man‘ @Swiftrun little investigatory study comes along, particularly daya integrity and if any corruption happens due to using such a size sd card. I guess only time will tell the longevity of the card

2 Likes

Time…about 26 days😁
Also, I’m hoping using a high quality SD card will help with any issues with data corruption.

Should be interesting :thinking:

1 Like

@Swiftrun we may have to turn this study into a white paper or something :wink:

1 Like

Hahaha
I have real world crazy off the grid ideas if the memory tinkering works out.
I’ll loop you into a crazy idea bouncing around inside my head.
If the camera successfully works with this 256gb SD card

1 Like

I wasn’t quite finished my other reply before I sent it.
It goes something like this
If the 256gb SD card works, I’ll take it up a notch.
Then after that test, I’ll loop you into a crazy thought​:rofl::rofl::rofl:image

1 Like

Why do Yi specifiy a SD card size with the camera…ie 32 or 64 when it will work with larger

I’m a little confused

Hey Brian

I’m not 100% sure why there’s a 32gb/64gb limit.

I’m currently testing a 256gb Micro SD
Not sure if there’ll be any degradation in the video using a card that large.
I have my camera recording continuously 24/7 and I extrapolated a timeframe of 26 days when the card will be filled.
If it stops recording earlier than that I’ll report it here.
Even though it’s seeing 238gb of available memory when I first formatted the 256gb card it’s possible when I get to 64gb it could stop recording or go to where it starts deleting I think 1 hour at a time.

It’s also possible the video may be corrupt if it goes by the 64gb limit.
So for now I’m still testing the 256gb SD card.

If I have no issues I’m thinking of going to test a 1tb card.
Not that I need 1tb or even 256gb, I’m just tinkering.

Stay tuned!

Some of the newer ones are now 128gb

1 Like

That’s good news!
Correct me if I’m thinking wrong.
I suspect there will be some hardware limitations with the older cameras in regards to maximum SD cards.
But I’m thinking it’s more of a “firmware” limiting SD card size??

Just thinking out loud.

I would think a bit of all that - hardware, firmware and what’s been tested etc. Also I personally would not use storage (SD cards & USB drives) in excess of 128gb. I just worry about how secure the data is. That said now I don’t use anything other than SSD for larger capacity needs.

I guess it comes down to requirements. If you are not sensitive to your data needs then if the card fails for whatever reason it should be a matter of format it and away you go or you toss it out and buy again.

I believe a rule of thumb to avoid possible corruption is to reformat a card every three months. But that may be old hat now.

1 Like

I’m thinking of an off the grid application
I’ll go deeper into my thought process after I see how successful/unsuccessful my 256gb test is.

1 Like

What I’d like / love is for user own cloud storage usage. Or allow footage to be saved to like OneDrive / Google Drive etc.

But I’m aware of the limitations of the product and the difficulties in providing that. And I would think that maybe a third party cloud storage which isn’t paid for wouldn’t allow constant recording to their platform

2 Likes

Categories