Cable problem resolution

I agree 100%, that is incredibly frustrating. Do you have an adapter with a high output you can try? not the provided adapter but something else?

The cameras (my 4, and with whatever firmware version they’re on) require the old, “dangerous” usb cable types withOUT a 56k ohm resistor. This is the type of cable the Yi cameras came with–without the 56k ohm resistor.

Dig around your old cables for a micro usb cable produced before 2013 and it’ll have a better chance of working. Maybe even a really thin, junky cable will work.

It has next to nothing to do with power capability (again–with my cameras and their firmware version). The cameras draw a dinky amount of power to begin the boot process (about 130ma at 5v), and doesn’t seem to ever hit 400ma. A computer from 1998 with a usb port (notoriously low-power ports) would happily boot this camera…with the right cable.

Most cables have the resistors these days, including a cable for 99 cents and cables which don’t mention having the resistor. Best of luck, and I hope this helps others!

Categories