Night-vision circle artifacts

I am seeing circle artifacts when night vision is on, basically like sunspots when the lens of a regular camera is directed at the sun.

I believe that I have peeled off all plastic coverings, so it shouldn’t be from those. There are no major light sources shining directly when it’s dark, but the spots, especially on one of the cameras are prominent enough to obscure actual scene detail. I have a Nest Hello doorbell facing roughly in the same direction and it has no such spots.

Anyone else with this issue and any way to eliminate it?

Hello. Could you help by supplying a video of the camera or some screen grabs please?

Also please advise how and where your camera is mounted. For example are you pointing outside through a window.

Thank you. Here is an example of the circle artifacts. The camera is mounted close to the roofline, facing my driveway. My other camera is facing city lights, but while it also has such artifacts, they are less problematic.Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 10.49.39

Thanks for that. That could either be that you left the plastic film on, the camera is suffering from some form of reflection or the camera is faulty.

I’d suggest checking the camera lens and giving it a clean. A reboot of it could be a good idea. If nothing works send Yi support an email.

2 Likes

Hello.

Its dust/ dirt. I get it all the time.

It can be barely visible to the naked eye but the night vision makes it look larger by reflecting off it.

Use a lint free cloth slightly dampened.

Some cameras I never have to clean, others I have to do regularly. Depends on environmental factors… wind rain direction etc…

2 Likes

Good tip Brian. If it is the rain try spraying a bit of RainX or the like.

Or if you are into snow sports some wax used to stop fogging on goggles or glasses can help.

2 Likes

Thank you! I gave it a good cleaning yesterday and now the spots are gone.

It was a new install and it looked clean, but wiping it well with a soft cloth did the trick. Phew! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice thread! Let us know how it goes @Woolywonk. If needed we can escalate this to our technical support.

WOOLYWONK,
I get that now & again. I believe it is dust particles
on your lense. It is such a hassle to drag out the
ladder & clean the lense with a bottle of spray cleaner & soft rag so I have devised an easier method.
Take a garden sprayer & pour a little dishwasher soap into it & fill with water.
THEN,
Pump it up & stand below your cam & shoot
the soapy mix onto the cam lense. It will
dry streak free in a couple of minutes.
I think that will solve your problem.

!

1 Like

Categories