Motion Detection settings

Hi gang

Just curious about settings in the “Smart Detection” area.

Currently I have “Motion Detection” turned on.
Why would I use “Person Detection” selection further down in settings?

If motion detection is ON and a person walks into range the camera will trigger and I get a motion alert.

If I turn ON “Person Detection” and the camera is triggered I get a “Human Detection” alert.

One problem I had was the human detected was a black cat.

Question. Is the juice worth the squeeze?
In other words is turning on “Person Detection” actually serve a useful purpose??

I await the gangs input.

Regards
Bob

I have ‘Person Detection’ switched off.

I do too now.
I’m not seeing any advantage to that function at the moment.
I’ll research some more, but if someone can explain the advantage of the Person Detection setting I’m all ears

Regards
B

For me I wasn’t interested in knowing that the motion was a human or another object. I assume with person detection I assume it says Human Detected when a skin and bone object is indicated.

But if it saw a feline cat for you then perhaps it’s still a learning process?

I’m not sure if the camera has a learning ability.:man_shrugging:t2:
At least for the price.
Me, I have a specific use for the camera.
More for looking when I’m away.
I’ll keep playing with the setups, it’s interesting.
I’m currently sharing video from a couple cameras with my daughter 3600km away.
That’s a cool option

The learning our friends at Yi :slight_smile: I’m sure over time they will make amendments to the algorithms assigned to the motion detection.

1 Like

Fun Fun Fun

The 32 years of troubleshooting issues at my workplace instincts haven’t gone away.

It’s why I go down those damn rabbit holes :grin:

It’s in my DNA🤣

Regards

B

I turn it off too, I find with it on I miss some important triggers…

1 Like

I use my outdoor cameras to watch wildlife. I get a lot of cats too as there is a cat sanctuary next door.
Funny thing about the motion detection. I have a cam on the front of my house looking down my looooooooong driveway towards our road.
The cam is designed to trigger on motion for what? 40ft maybe 60ft? Well, whenever a car drives down my road it triggers. It also triggers if a car drives down our road at night. It also triggers on Thursday mornings when the garbage truck stops by.
House to road = 125ft!!!

!

2 Likes

Hi
I have a few cameras that I’m testing currently.
One is pointing towards the road which is about 125’ away and YES, mine triggers as well.
Going forward placement is like buying a house
Location Location Location

I can see where my final placements will be pointing down (maybe a 45° angle) and I’ll use the “activity zone” feature to zero in on what I want to watch specifically.

But back to your original message, these cameras definitely have a bigger “trigger zone” than 50’

Have a great day!

1 Like

I checked my distance again.
50m (150’) from the camera to the road
Camera is pointing on a flat horizontal plane towards the road.

Again, this is a testing period for placement, distance etc.

1 Like

Hey All - I think you hit the nail on the head there @Swiftrun. when doing outdoor camera placement or facing an indoor camera out a window (not necessarily recommended but some do this)

It is ALL about location, location, location. And, don’t be afraid to test different locations. You never know what is going to work for you or functionality until you try it!

1 Like

And read the guidance notes supplied by the manufacturer. That always helps to gain an understanding of the cameras and the limitations and what to expect. Once you do a little homework and research it’s very easy to get it right. But some don’t do that and expect stella performance.

3 Likes

If you have a specific area you want to look at then it’s definitely worth your while to consider where the camera is placed.
We have a few areas that we look at and now that I’ve been playing around with angles, directions I have a better idea where the final placement will be.

A couple things I’m still playing with is camera storage size and distance I can get a reliable connection between my camera and router.

Stay tuned, I’m a work in progress :grin:

Curious….
I found when I set an Activity Zone with Person Detector off I got lots of wind-triggered alerts, and a frequent crow visit. I turned Activity Zone off and Person Detection on and now I’m getting much better activity alerts.
@CamKami

1 Like

Thanks!
I’ll try it out!:+1:t3:

1 Like

@Steven_Kami @Swiftrun @YorkshireUser

Here are my motion detection settings:

I don’t have sound or face recognition on because it’s an indoor KamiMini pointed out the window. The doorbell camera will be set for sound and facial recognition when I get one. :star_struck:

As far as I can tell the “Activity Zone” doesn’t seem to care what’s moving.

When Person Detection and Activity Zone are both On, does Person Detection limit the Activity Zone to detecting people?

Some clarification on how the detection choices would affect each other in combination would help users fine tune settings and aid further development.

1 Like

Hey

I did try your settings and it didn’t work for my situation.
I have three cameras setup, one specifically at a tree where I feed a bunch of regular wildlife.
I went from multiple legitimate triggers per night to practically zero triggers.

For my application I found this setting wasn’t for me.
Food for thought
Thanks for sharing!

Tinkerer :grin:

1 Like

Hmmm…
So you’re using the activity zone? When I had it turned on a crow regularly set it off hopping along my eaves trough.

2 Likes

Yeah
I get lots of triggers which I’m ok with as I have 64gb SD cards.
When I tried your settings I literally got no triggers which I knew was impossible in one particular area.
Every night I feed a bunch of raccoons, possums and anywhere from 1-4 cats that drop by.
To see no triggers I knew something was up.

So yes, I know what your saying about nuisance triggers but I’m ok with that.

Fun Fun Fun :grin:

1 Like

Categories