Kami wirefree: IP65 is disappointing

I submitted a support request and received an acknowledgement on August 4, 2020 but have not heard from the support team since that time.

On 7/14/2020 I ordered a Kami Outdoor Wirefree camera. I installed it and had it operational on 7/23/2020.

Heavy rain storms passed though our area on 8/4/2020.

Some time during the rain storm moisture entered the lens creating a permanent fog:

The camera failed it’s first IP65 test. Camera is operational but provides unsatisfactory images

IP65:

• Protected from total dust ingress
  • Protected from low pressure water jets from any direction, limited ingress protection

Requested remedy: Pre-paid RMA and full refund for the cost of the camera.

Hey Dave. Sorry to hear about this. You’re right, it is very disappointing! I’m so curious about how the unit has failed. I’m going to send you a private message to get some more info and confirm a couple of things.

By the way I see customer support replied yesterday afternoon requesting more info to get the RMA process started (ticket #438233).

Mark: thanks for jumping in on this. Your reply is the only reference I have to ticket #438233. As far as I can tell there has been no communication from the support team, which is why I posted to the forum today.

I will send additional details by private message.

Got it, thanks Dave!

Hello Dave! Did you ever get any resolution to your problem. I am having the exact same problem!

David!
PXL_20200927_225822586|375x500

@DavidDalrymple resolved to Yi’s satisfaction but not to mine.
Instead of processing an RMA, I accepted their offer for a new/replacement camera.
While waiting for the new camera, I placed the original camera (dis-assembled, batteries removed), in my “server closet”; 82degreesF, 40% humidity for two full days. Lens and PIR sensor cleared any visible moisture. I placed the camera back in service on August 10th, before doing so, I taped the seam where the cover screws on:
20200810 Side View
…but I did not cover the speaker or microphone openings.
Unfortunately, with more rain on September 3rd, 2020, the camera fogged over again. I repeated the “drying” process and this time I taped over all of the openings. On September 12, 2020, more rain, more water infiltration:
20200912 Kami Fogged Again

The replacement camera finally arrived September 8, 2020. I had planed to deploy it over the weekend of September 12, but with the third leak shown above, I requested a true RMA instead. I was informed that returns are only allowed within the first 30 days of purchase.
My camera clearly leaks through the face (not the seam). I have no reason to believe that the replacement camera will fare any better. I have no plan to deploy the replacement as I have already wasted too much time with the original. These cameras may be suitable for operation in a covered outdoor environment (e.g. under the eaves of a roof)
I would not use a Kami Wireless Outdoor in an exposed area (e.g. fence post).
I am satisfied with my Yi WiFi Outdoor plug-in camera (under the roof eaves)
I have an unopened replacement and a proven to leak original Kami Wireless Outdoor in my drawer of broken dreams. $70 down the drain.
You are not alone. Similar issues for Amazon reviewers.

Follow-up: I was not able to edit my comment above, so I am adding a new comment.
This is now resolved to my satisfaction. Yi/Kami provided a full refund, based on issues within the first 30 days.
Very much appreciated.

1 Like

Good to hear Dave. Thanks for the update!

Categories