Kami Wire-Free Outdoor Camera Users

Hi yi-haw! Thanks for asking! We are definitely looking into adding solar battery charging and will keep the community informed here on the progress. So far, with the batteries you can count on several months of charge depending on the usage. As for now, we don’t have the gutter mount but perhaps you can look into mounting in such areas with some external support.
We’re sorry we couldn’t help more but we hope that you find our Kami Wire-Free worth the addition to your YI/Kami family!

1 Like

This camera would definitely benefit from the activity zones feature. Would reduce a lot of unwanted traffic. All my Yi cameras have it and I love this feature. Would we be able to have this soon please on our Kami outdoor wireless?

1 Like

Hi @MilkinMore, yes we are working on an activity zones feature for this camera! We will update this thread when we have it worked out!

2 Likes

Great news. Cheers. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe an easier method would be to add an option of size in pixels or just size of object to detect. I find that my wireless camera gets a lot of false alerts at night, due to large bugs flying in the area of the camera.

I would like to see an option in the software to select multiple alerts and delete them without viewing them first. I often have multiple false alerts and it’s time consuming to view each one and then delete it.

1 Like

Hey Gary that’s great feedback! Thank you! I’ve recorded both of those ideas and will pass them on to the product team.

1 Like

In the Yi Home app under the “Alerts” section and then the “?” icon (for help) suggests there is a sensitivity level setting under Smart Detection Settings, but when I go in there all I can change is Alert Frequency as seen in this screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/Nz9T6VS.png

Without being able to lower the sensitivity or use zones my new Kami wire-free camera becomes almost useless as I get far too many records due to cars driving by and my battery dies within 4-5 days, even with recordings set to 20 and Alert Frequency set to “Low”.

Plllllease look into fixing this, I’m ready to chuck the camera into the street.

Edit:
Here’s what the Yi Home apps’s Alerts help menu says I should do: https://i.imgur.com/Ae5OP7k.png

As you can see in my first link there’s nothing about Sensitivity Level to change under that section.

Hi @User1 welcome to the forum. Just to double check, can you please confirm for me that motion detection is still turned on.

Without being able to lower the sensitivity or use zones my new Kami wire-free camera becomes almost useless as I get far too many records due to cars driving by and my battery dies within 4-5 days

I made it 11 days this time, it’s a miracle!

Hi @dustinfl sorry for the delay in getting back to you! Sometime the forum gets a bit crazy.

Could you please give me a rough estimate of how many motion detection alerts are you getting per day?

We advise people not to focus battery cameras toward high traffic areas. Generally they are better suited in a more strategic location.

Thanks for the reply Mark - I didn’t get an email notification of the reply so I had no idea you responded, but thank you.

I’d say I get about one per hour, one 10 second clip. From where it’s located to the road it’s probably 25 feet in distance, give or take a few feet. Having the ability to adjust the sensitivity would greatly improve this product instead of having to readjust the camera. I had the same issue with my Blink camera at the same location until they worked out the same issue, but of course their product takes two double A batteries and I hated the waste of burning through batteries (and had no power hookup available for a constant power solution). I was really hoping the Kami with its larger rechargeable capacity batteries would be the final solution but for me I feel there’s still work left for the software guys. Documentation hints at sensitivity settings under the Smart Detection settings area but for me all I get is the the Alert Frequency setting (which has always been set to Low).

Hey @dustinfl no worries at all. Thanks for the info!

You are correct, the camera does not have the option to adjust motion detection sensitivity, or to adjust an activity zone like the Kami Wired Outdoor Camera. And in your case I think the Alert Frequency is best set to low, as you have it configured.

One alert per hour seems pretty reasonable to me. Are you still seeing battery life of less than two weeks? I don’t believe that is what you should be getting out of this camera even in your current location.

Are you trying to pick up people approaching your house on foot?

Hello again Mark.

First things first, here is a picture to explain the setup better than a thousand words could possibly do: https://i.imgur.com/XlaM4bz.png

Looking back at my alert history I actually get less than one alert per hour on some days, but then other days it’s a much higher amount.

For example, below is the alert history since I left my house last night for a walk. All times are in military time in the Eastern timezone.

So far today (five events, all cars in the distance i.e. no one walking up to the house):

• 12:02
  • 07:29
  • 05:18
  • 01:31
  • 00:39

Yesterday:

• 23:58
  • 23:45
  • 23:21
  • 23:07
  • 22:43
  • 22:14
  • 22:02
  • 21:28
  • 21:15
  • 21:00 me returning home
  • 20:48
  • 20:37 me returning and leaving my house again
  • 20:08 me leaving home
  • 16:45 me returning home
  • 16:24
  • end of recordings

No additional recordings are available after that 16:24 (4:24PM ET) event yesterday. I have a 32GB card and I did not tell it to wipe/format since initially installing the card. I would expect more recordings to be available for that amount of space assuming some level of compression and my clips are only 10 seconds long, but that’s what I’m encountering.

All events above that don’t have a description next to them are either cars driving by or lights shining in the distance which perhaps are causing the PIR sensor to freak out but I know next to nothing about PIR sensors.

Let me know if you need me to provide anything else. I feel like my camera is far enough away from the road and it seems like the camera doesn’t pick up stuff some days better than others but without zones or being able to adjust sensitivity levels I don’t have many options here. I could point it more towards the door, but then my car may not be in view as much as I’d like it to be, and I remember fighting this battle with my Blink camera and that didn’t really help because the PIR sensor was still picking up motion from the side. Once they introduced zoning that helped a ton.

Anyway, as you can see yesterday (without my interactions) was much more busy in the evening than today has been so far, but as the evening goes on I’ll have more events/data points to provide.

Edit: not sure why this WYSIWYG editor hates honoring blank lines, I swear I tried to format this correctly…

Hey Dustin thanks for all the info and the picture. That is all super helpful!

You are correct, the PIR sensors can be triggered by flashes of light. Is it possible to tilt the camera down a bit more? That might help eliminate at least some of the unwanted alerts.

How often are you having to charge the camera currently? Also, when you charge the batteries do you leave them charging for a long time? Mine took 5 hours to get to full charge with the included charger.

One more question, do you ever stream the camera to a Google Hub or keep the live view open for extended periods of time?

(The forum editor is very basic. To add a return space you have to type < b r > (with no spaces).

Hey Mark, sorry for the delay but I was waiting to see how the camera’s batteries held up. I charged them to green light status on Friday or Saturday last weekend and it just ran out of juice again last night, so a full recharge is lasting about seven days with 10 second clips and averaging maybe once alert each hour on average, maybe a bit less. I can try to reposition the camera but the battery life just doesn’t seem right. One thing I am wondering is if when I go to look at the camera within the app if I’m not exiting from the live stream gracefully, that is, does it keep sending bits to my phone while the app is not in focus? I will try to be more cognizant of hitting the back button out of the camera if I ever go to that specific camera but if the software isn’t disconnecting the session automatically after a minute or two it could be draining the battery this way perhaps. I am not intentionally watching live streams though.

Actually I’m averaging less than 1 an hour, I looked at each day and counted the events:

• 27 on the 27th
  • 10 on the 28th
  • 6 on the 29th
  • 8 on the 30th
  • 22 on the 31st
  • 10 on the 1st
  • 6 on the 2nd

edit: just to reiterate, these are all 10 second recordings, so less than 15 minutes of recordings before my camera runs out of juice

Hey @dustinfl thanks for the update! If you have the live-view open and then just turn off your phone screen the camera will continue to stream, but if you exit the app the stream will be disconnected. I would be very surprised if it is the way you are using the app is causing that batteries to die so fast.

But do you mind trying one more time, making sure to exit completely from the live-view after checking the camera.

Also, please update to the latest version of the app if you aren’t already (this will automatically install the latest firmware), and charge the batteries until the lights on the charger turn green (this could take up to 5 hours).

If the battery drops down to 2 bars as quick as before, please let me know and I’ll arrange for a new unit to be sent out to you.

Hey Mark, I am just confirming that I received your update the other day and I’m doing my best to stay out of the app and will hit the back arrow to properly back out of the live screen view if I decide to take a peek, but so far I’ve stayed away from it for data gathering purposes.

As for apps and firmware versions I always let my phone auto-update the apps (and it says it’s updated) and the current version of the firmware on the camera is 5.1.0.0A_202004022041 which the app says is the latest. If for some reason that is wrong please let me know.

Anyway, I’ll check back with you once the camera starts complaining that it’s out of juice again, hopefully not so soon this time if I’m avoiding live-view but we’ll see. Thank you.

Edit: the app version is 4.70.2_20200729

Hey Dustin thanks so much for keeping me updated and for doing this test. Much appreciated! :+1: I’ll touch base with you again next week to see where we’re at.

Categories