iOS app freezing daily after last update in June 2023

I use the YI Home app for 3 cameras with paid cloud service. My phone is an iPhone 13 pro with everything updated and current. Since the last YI Home update in June where they added battery cameras, my app has frozen every day. The only solution I can find is to uninstall and reinstall but it’s getting really old and is very unhelpful when I have to do it away from home and don’t always have the best internet connection. The worst part is it stops working without my knowledge during the day and I only realize it when it dawns on me that I haven’t had a notification for a while. I use the app mostly to keep an eye on my elderly special needs cat while I’m not at home. I usually get notifications every few hours at least. The notifications are very important and if the app stops working without me knowing it just seems like there aren’t any. The app does load to the main home screen when it happens. It just isn’t responsive at all. Closing it doesn’t help. Reinstalling seems to be the only option to get it back up. Please help! I’m paying for a service that’s only kinda working and am constantly checking the app to make sure it’s not frozen.

2 Likes

We are sorry for the issue you are facing. If you are using the YI Home App, please uninstall the app and install the Kami Home App on your mobile device. If you are still facing any problems, please contact us at https://www.kamihome.com/contact. We will try our best to help you out.

Thank you for the quick response! I didn’t realize the Kami app was interchangeable. I have downloaded it and hopefully that will solve the problem. I will update after a few days of use for those who might have the same problem.

So is the YI app no longer usable? should we all be using the KAMI app on our phones or quite what?

It was freezing for me daily since a previous update but they just put out an update yesterday so it may be fine now. I have been using the Kami app, which is honestly identical. I logged in with the same credentials so it was no biggy to switch. I might try using the YI app again later but for now the Kami one hasn’t frozen and I’ve had no issues since switching.

I tried installing the Kami App to fix the same issue on my iPhone. It still locks up before even allowing login or account creation (tried both). I have already started the return process w/ Amazon (days ago) for the 2 new outdoor cameras I wanted to add to my existing 2. I might consider cancelling the Return if someone at Kami/Yi can reach out and fix the problem. Very frustrating.

I and 3 others that I got into Yi cameras years ago have noticed the past 2-3 weeks the App wont work for hours, sometimes they entire day. People are going to start bailing on this product if this continues. I would be especially pissed if I was paying the monthly fee for the Kami features.

1 Like

Kami Home has the same problems as YI Home.

I can tell you what worked for me, what i did was this frozen or experience issues, you can try several troubleshooting steps to resolve the problem. Here are some suggestions:-
1. Close and Reopen Camera App:-
-Double-press the Home button (for iPhones with a Home button) or swipe up from the
bottom of the screen (for iPhones with Face ID) to open the App Switcher.
-Swipe left or right to find the Camera app and swipe it up or off the screen to close it.
-Open the Camera app again and see if the issue persists.
2. Restart Your iPhone:-
-A simple restart can often resolve temporary glitches.
-Turn off your iPhone, wait a few seconds, and turn it back on.
3. Check Storage Space:-
-Insufficient storage space on your iPhone can affect camera performance.
-Go to Settings > General > [Device] Storage to check your available storage. If it’s
low, consider deleting unused apps or files.
4. Close Background Apps:-
-Too many apps running in the background can affect overall device performance.
-Close unnecessary apps by double-pressing the Home button (for iPhones with a
Home button) or swiping up from the bottom of the screen (for iPhones with Face ID)
to access the App Switcher.
5. Reset Settings:-
-If the issue persists, you can try resetting all settings on your iPhone. This won’t
delete your data but will reset system settings.
-Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.

If the camera freezing issue continues after trying these steps, follow below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwoZmQFJNDM&ab_channel=TheGeekPage

Categories