Indoor camera pointed outside Blurry night vision

I have a set of 4 indoor cameras pointed outside. They work great during the day and I can see everything very clearly. I have night vision turned on but when it gets dark, I can’t see anything, only a blur of what’s out there.
I do have a string of outdoor lights outside in my trees. Do you think this could be causing the problem? Does it have to be totally dark outside?

No notifications will go off either during this time, which seems counter productive to having cameras set up.

I really don’t want to turn off my lights as I live in the woods and it would be quite dark.

Any suggestions?
Thank you

Hello without a screengrab of the issue it is hard to impossible to determine what could be happening. When you installed the cameras did you make sure to remove any protective plastic from the front of the lens?

I will snap a pic tonight. The plastic coating was removed.
I have a feeling it’s something to do with glare from the window and if it is that I don’t know what to do about it, any suggestions?

Ah you are pointing out of the window to outside. Then yes that will be the case. I have many internal cameras pointing to the exterior but with the IR off. External lighting is enough for my needs.

I should have read the title of the post! Sorry.

@Jerib Ive also seen suggestions from others that where the place the camera on the window seems to make a difference. If its low at the window, more obstructed, but if it’s higher, towards the top, its clearer. I have not had a chance to test this myself. But, it is worth giving it a try.

And, as suggested by YorkShire, turn off your IR. Either way, keep us posted :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ohmygosh! Thank you!
I turned off the IR and it works great now.

I’m also going to fiddle with the placement of the camera in the window, Ill move it up higher to the top.
Does anyone here have blinds on their windows? Seems that makes the reflection problem worse. But maybe that will fix itself too when I move the camera up.
I’m not at that house at the moment, but I will post again when I go back and let you know how it goes.
Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Hi glad to have helped. You will always get some glare from say the room. Closing curtains or good external lighting helps. I get a little reflection of the camera itself but nothing too much. And the quality Id is fine. Try to get the lens close to the glass. The main one I have is a done one which pans so I sit it back a little from the glass surface.

I see it that the cost and installation of cameras outside, for where the inside views, far outweigh the benefits. So make do with internal offerings.

1 Like

Yorkshire’s the best!

1 Like

For others having these reflection issues here’s some material to ponder -> https://www.howtogeek.com/407363/how-to-make-a-security-cameras-night-vision-work-through-a-window/

2 Likes

Intersting stuff @Calhoun Thanks for sharing with the forum :slight_smile: Definitely someone who will be interested in this article. Some work arounds I was aware of, and some I was not.

Categories