Excessive Data Usage

Can anyone give me and idea of data consumption - I’ve purchased and installed the YI 1080P Home and YI 1080P Dome cameras in my shop. Since we went ‘live’ on Saturday 11am 3G of data has been used.
The shop closes at 13h00 on Saturdays and is not open on Sundays.
Today the shop opened at 8am this morning, and data was used up about 3 hrs later.

Is this normal? Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated

Hi there @Elin. That level of data usage is definitely not normal. Each camera should use between 15 - 50 kilobytes of data per second, sometimes spiking to 100 kb/s. I just sent you a private message to get your contact details. I will create a support ticket for you and we will check out back end to see if there is anything unusual going on.

Are you using cloud storage subscription?

If you are that would explain data usage.

If you have them on HD (high def) then the data consumption is through the roof.
I use my outdoor cameras for surveillance live view. No cloud storage or any of that.
In HD mode my cameras used ~700Gb in 30 days.
Internet company sent me a message to let me know my usage had more then tripled and to see if I knew about it. I did not and we tracked it to the cameras.
I wish these cameras could operate as IP type cameras so we can use for live view just on the local network.

So check your settings.

1 Like

In order to use 700gig in a month you must be viewing the cameras and a few of them literally all the time.

I really don’t think they’re best suited for constant live view. In essence however, cloud and constant live view cause high usage- particularly in HD as you mentioned.

Cloud feed isnt HD by default and there isnt an option to change-

1 Like

My ISP limits me to 1.2 TB a month. I NEVER came anywhere close to that in the past, even with heavy home computing and two 4K streaming TVs. Once I hooked up my indoor and outdoor cameras my data usage skyrocketed! Nothing about my internet usage changed from my previous house to the new one except the cameras. I eventually narrowed it down to the excessive notifications the cameras were sending. I had to disable smart detection and video and photo notifications. I would get a hundred+ notifications with 6 second clips per day. Even with those turned off my network usage so far today is already at 326.49 MB upload and 18,003 MB (18 GB) , at 11:39 AM EST. I have not downloaded any files on my computer. In fact, the only things on are my work laptop and my cameras. My wireless outdoor camera doesn’t give me the option to turn off smart detection for some reason, so I still keep getting notifications, but without the video. Also, I had the 4 screen live view open for awhile this morning playing with the settings. I think rather than viewing live directly from the camera it is sending the data stream to an outside server, than back to me, rather than me being directly connected to them. If that is the case, that is a terrible drain of bandwidth and a huge security risk. If I am not using the cloud it should be a direct internal network only stream.

Yes. Its the camera no doubt.

I have about 22 outdoor cameras in use at the moment in various locations with different networks. However 1 particular camera in a remote location is connected to a dedicated GSM data sim, so it’s easy quantify data use. The data allowance is 120 gig per month.

If i dont turn off the cloud storage at night the camera will exceed the limit in a month.

So 5 cameras cloud storage, absolutely impossible not to exceed most fair usage policies.

Usually night time causes the issue as the camera is picking up all sorts of insects and what you will see is practically a continuous recording during the night… which is alot of bandwith

Categories