Camera not recording to SD card

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me?

My garden is detached from my house, well out of reach of my wifi signal. I’ve just bought a Kami outdoor wireless camera for the garden, thinking that I’d be able to record solely to an SD card, but it doesn’t seem to be recording anything?

Here’s what I’ve done…

1. Installed the app,
  2. Created an account
  3. Logged in and connected the camera (which works live, and sends me occasional 6 second clips)
  4. Taken the camera down the garden and left it overnight,
  5. Retrieved the camera the next day.

All I get on the card is a ‘record’ folder with no files and a wakeup.log.

Can anyone shed any light on why it’s not working for me? The card is obviously formatted properly, and the batteries are fully charged, but even if I do a manic dance in front of the camera, it doesn’t pick up anything. I’ve bought it to film my chicken coop, so there should be loads of PIR movement detected.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Hello. From what I’m reading your camera is not attached to your internet network? If that’s correct then your camera will not record. They need access all the time as IP cameras to a working internet connection.

When you set the camera up and received the six seconds alerts it sounds like it was in range of your wifi and therefore would work.

Thanks, but my understanding is that it’s supposed to record to the SD card when wireless is interrupted?

If my WiFi goes down there isn’t any recording for the period offline

As @Brian supports. I don’t have any recording facility if there is no network connection.

I’m interested to learn why you thought there was? Did you get incorrect advice before you bought?

Thanks, but I’ve just rewatched the Kami promotional video on the Currys website, and a minute and 43 seconds in it says “If your internet connection is down, the SD storage option will save your precious footage on the card”.

That’s why I figured I could connect the camera to wifi at the house, then expected it to save to the card when the connection dropped down the garden.

Here’s the Currys link…

Ok thanks for advising where you saw it.

@Steven_Kami - any thoughts on this?

Thanks YorkshireUser

I’ve still not managed to find an answer to my problem, does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Hey @derbyreject thanks for your patience. Apologies for the delay. This is one requires the whole team to weigh in,

This is correct, if wifi signal is interrupted, the camera should still record to wifi. This seems to be a bug. We apologize for any inconvenience, I wanted to let all know that we have escalated this ticket with our engineering team and I will be in touch with more details.

Let me know if you have any questions

Hi Steven, any news on the SD card issue? I’m concerned that the longer it goes on, the harder it will be to get a refund, especially as the camera has already spent a while outside.

Thanks in advance

Hey @derbyreject if there is no wifi, the camera should record to SD card if an SD card is present.

What is your alert frequency on the wire-free camera?
What is your recording length set to?

Is wire-free your only option or is it possible that you could set up a wired camera?

I wired camera might be a better option for you with heavy traffic area like a chicken cope that will have a lot of motion. The wired camera also has the ability to record to SD card with no wifi.

I am having the same problem. Nothing records to my SD card. I have wi-fi connectivity albeit sketchy (this camera has horrible wi-fi connectivity). I thought it would work the same as my Yi home 1080p inside cameras, but it doesn’t at all. There is no way to set a activity range, so my flag constantly makes the motion alert go off – that is annoying. Is there any plans to make the wireless cameras interface the same as the 1080p, and give me more options? Right now it is nothing but a monitor because the SD doesn’t record anything, and the motion on causes too many alerts because of my flag.

Hello temple

The Kami wireless is very different to the wired options and yes I do agree a bit of a disappointment. Alot of features getting stripped back to increase battery life. I find the wireless camera slower to connect to view and their motion sensor almost useless.

I have 2. But they’re used in conjunction with wired cameras and sensors so in effect they’re used just to view

i just added a 3rd camera 1080P and they would all 3 record when movement was detected… it sopped like 2 days ago… it records continuous but not just when motion. i have tried everything… reinstalled, formatted sd, refresh settings etc… still nada

Hi @Jess2107 Iam sorry to hear you’re having issues with motion detection. That’s frustrating. Can you send me some screenshots of your in app settings? Showing “Activity Detection” toggle to motion and your motion detections turned ON? What about Smart AI Detections? Are those working?

I got 2 of 3 working… all set exactly the same…! Just this one isntScreenshot 2022-03-25 2.50.20 PM|393x500

Hmm @Jess2107 Thanks for sending these screenshots. Do the other 2 have activity zones turned on? What happens when you turn off the activity zone? Just trying to rule things out. Firmwares are the same on all the cameras? Were the all purchased at the same time?

everything is exactly the same set up… 100%…turning on and offdoes nothing…firmware is exact/// purchased at 3 different times… this is the newest one

Categories