ability to remote restart devices

Occasionally my cameras loose the ability to read from SD card since last update, this has me needing to go back to the power source and power cycle the devices which isnt always easy considering most of the wiring and connections is hidden / tucked away. The ability to restart the devices via the yi / kami app would be very helpful in times of malfunction.

2 Likes

This is an excellent suggestion. Added to my notes to forward to the product team. Thanks again Nat!

Have you thought about using a Wifi plug. Not the solution you have looked for but would give you the ability to restart the device

1 Like

This is a great advice from Brian. I have all my mains connected cameras (Yi and other brands) connected with smart plugs that link into my smart home system.

Using such, enables you to have even more control such as connecting with other automations / scenes etc.

However with single options - Many available as Brian states would offer a power recycle option.

Give it a go and see what you think. Granted it would mean an extra cost and extra app. But it could make your YI camera even smarter than it currently is.

1 Like

Nice idea Brian! I haven’t personally needed to power cycle a camera in a long time, but I could imaging this would be very useful for Nat and others.

Yep!

I have tried different wifi plugs to power cycle my cameras , my issue is that the plugs weaken the wifi signal to my cameras and then it will not connect to the server. It would be a great help to be able if there was a way to connect the cameras to the same network without having to connect to the server to view real time. I have currently 22 cameras to view 24/7 as a surveillance system for my building. These cameras are very amazing and are very dependable. Unfortunately I have to constantly refresh cameras and reconnect them to be able to view them on my windows desktop computers.

Hey @Baylee First of all, thanks for the awesome feedback. Glad you’ve enjoyed the cameras. 22 puts you up with top contenders. Having the ability to connect to your own private network, would be super helpful but as always there is a lot to consider there. I will share your feedback though with our engineering team

Is this home/personal use or business?
Try connecting the cameras to the power source sent with the cameras and check the wifi connection on the cameras.

Are all 22 cameras connected to the same network?

Let me check with our team on wifi plugs that work with cameras. Maybe a community member can lend some advice as well.

Thanks for your patience and for coming to the community for assistance.
Let me know how connecting with our provided power source goes. I’ll be in touch when I get some feedback on wifi plugs.

Hope all is well.

Hello and thank you for the rapid response and your help and time in this matter. My camera system is on the same network running about 1150mbps through mesh of 6 pods. It is on a home network. It is about 4 cameras per pod and even the cameras that are next to pods are having to be refreshed running on both Yi and Kami Beta software for Windows 10. I do get different codes like 1003 and 1030? There are some other codes there as well that I need to refresh about every hour. Maybe there is a list of codes that I can troubleshoot? Thank you again for your time and help.

Hello. I find it interesting that wifi plugs used in conjunction with your cameras reduce the wifi strength. First time I have heard this.

I use them and don’t experience that.

What brand of wifi plugs are you using? Some of mine actually work as a strengthener to my signal.

The brand is gosund… The issue was whenever I plugged in to the camera adapter the camera stopped connecting on the windows computer. When I removed it the camera went back to working… I tried 2 other wifi brands and it was the same thing. I can only imagine that the signal strength was interrupted by the wifi plug. Maybe something else was going on but I’m unable to keep the camera working normal with the plug.

1 Like

When you say disconnected. Is that power wise or from the wifi network? It may be that the power plug doesn’t give enough power to power the camera. But that could be a long odd.

Can you try another device on the power plug and see what happens.

I use smartthings for my home automation and use a range of manufacturers and have never had one disconnect a device from the network.

1 Like

what brand of wifi plugs do you use @YorkshireUser?

@Baylee codes 1003, 1030 are presenting themselves where?

I have a mix of Samsung Smartthings. Lidl and Ikea.

1 Like

I currently have 28 cameras. Yi and kami. I’ll have 30 when the 2 new YI ptz ones arrive

I have these on 4 different networks. Yi recommend no more than 12 cameras per network due to the demand of video.

I don’t install a camera without having plug or even better a sonoff switch connected. Between 1 and 4 cameras per switch.

No issues with signal drop due to plugs. Most router’s are capable of many dozens of devices connected.

1 Like

Hey @Brian That’s awesome! And, thank you for providing such detailed information about your set up and how it works. I am sure this will be of value to someone in the community a long the way. And, what’s the point of a community if not to help each other?? Thanks again! Have a great rest of your day :slight_smile:

1 trick is to format the SD card and the camera will restart.

1 Like

@Baylee Great tip! That does remotely restart your camera.

You can’t format the sd card if the camera is offline though, which is usually the reason I have to restart the device.
The Sonoff switch on the top right is very convenient. And as you can see, it’s rather remote location so needed

I’m reading this with interest. Out of curiosity how many times have your cameras gone offline? In all the time I have owned Yi cameras it’s never happened for me.

I have had other brands in the past that have and use all the smart home automation plugs and the like.

But I’d be interested how many times / how frequent this offline event actually happens.

1 Like

I had one camer that would do it regularly enough… ie… once a day, for a few days, and then never again…either a software glitch or poor WiFi connection or if after a power cut or internet crash or modem fail perhaps 1 or 2 out of 19 cameras at that location may fail to connect, a Power cycle would solve it.

It’s not often in fairness, in practice, out of 28 cameras I might have one drop off in 6 or 8 weeks but I don’t live near the majority of them so being able to remotely powercycle is very helpful. Saves the 30 mile round trip.

Most cameras never ever go down in 2 years I’ve had them

They’re not costly but provide peace of mind. I often have a dual sonoff, one to control a floodlight and then can also control power to camera…for about £8 it won’t break the bank

2 Likes

Categories